Friday, March 9, 2012

Welcome to Door Knockers!


Matt. 7:7
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.”

Mind you, this is not a reference to an ornate brass block hinged on the opening of your home.  You will receive no home decorating tips on this blog.  (At least, as far as I can see at this point.)  But I would like to welcome you to the start of my public musings about the Word of God.

I chose the name Door Knockers to reflect the verse above.  Above all if we seek the Lord, He will answer.  In my mind's eye, He is ready to jump, excited to open the door to our hungry faces.  He has so much to tell!  And ready He is to invite us in and explain it all to us.  If only we ask. 

In this blog, I plan to take one of the verses I have highlighted in my old, beloved Bible and drain from it the truth I feel God pouring out to me.  I'd like to keep it short, but welcome discussion in the comments you leave, should you like to keep the words alive.

The starting point will be in the book of Matthew, following then through the remaining gospels. I use the NIV, but would love to read interpretations you may have from different versions.  My schedule will hopefully keep me to posting here once a week.  

So those are the ground rules.  Stay tuned for next week's short rap on the door.

One last thought.  This verse tells us that if we knock, God will not hesitate to answer the door.  There is another verse that speaks of knocking on the door.  Revelation 3:20 tells us,  "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me."  Jesus is speaking to us.  He is the one knocking, and the door is your heart.  There is a beautiful stained glass window in the church where I grew up that showed this picture.  As a young child, I was frustrated seeing the same picture every week.  Jesus knocked every week.  That door never opened.  Is it time for you to open the door to Him?

5 comments:

  1. I hope I understand the rules correctly. I would like to address Matthew 7:7 and repsond from the notes given in the ESV study Bible. In fully understanding verse 7:7 we must look at it in context from verses 7-11. The ESV does this in its commentary quite well.

    ASK - Disciples should come to God in humility and awareness of need.
    SEEK - connects one's prayer with responsible action in pursuing the will of God.
    KNOCK - suggests perseverance. Disciples are to persist in prayer, confident that their Father will provide whatever is best for them according to His sovereign, gracious will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the world of blogging Tracy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Aduladi#39! Nice to be here.

    ReplyDelete